Tuesday, January 13, 2009

{Elder Holland Devotional}


Today we had an amazing Devotional by Elder Holland. He talked about not living in the past and looking to future. He talked a lot about forgiving others and yourself and not holding onto things that you should let the Lord take upon himself through the Atonement. It was an amazing talk!! I highly recommend you listen to it! It would be good to read as well, but to get the full effect of the message he was trying to get across I think you need to listen/watch it! He spoke with such power it sent chills through you when he said a lot of this stuff...He was pratically pounding the pulpit! The link isn't up on BYU's website yet, but I will post as soon as it is! Here are some of the highlights of his talk...

~Not to dwell on days gone by…the past is to be looked upon but not lived in

~Don’t miss the here and now and tomorrow because you are too concern with then, and there and yesterday…

~Forgive and forget earlier mistakes in life…that is not good, it is not Christian…it is against the Atonement of Christ. It is the worst kind of wallowing in self-pity

~When something is over and done with, when it is repented of as much as it can be repented of. It is not right to go back and open up that ancient wound that the Son of God died to remove. Let people change, let people repent. Is that faith, is that charity? Don’t dig it up.

~Such dwelling on past lies and past mistakes, is just not right…

~Do as the Lord himself says he does, "Behold he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I the Lord remember them no more."

~When honest effort is made to progressing, we are making the greater sin by recalling those mistakes, and sometimes that is ourself, we are so hard on ourselves.

~Bury your weapons of war, and leave them buried.

~Forgive yourself and forget, remember enough to not make the mistake again, but forget the rest.

~God does not care where you have been but only where you are going to go, more importantly where you are going to go with him.

4 comments:

Terry Lynn said...

sounds like a good fireside Kara. Where was the fireside? BYU? UVSU?

Kara Welker said...

It was BYU, it was a great week we had President Monson here on Sunday speaking and then Elder Holland here on Tuesday!!

Nicole said...

Awesome talk, I'm glad you posted the highlights! Thanks! And I'll watch out for that link to when they finally put it up. He is such an incredible speaker, and an incredible man.

Your blog is beautiful, so are you, and I am glad we are roommates! Have a lovely night Kara. :)

Pokemon said...

Thanks for sharing the highlights of Elder Holland's devotional talk. I graduated from a church school and miss the weekly boosts that devotionals bring.

I especially liked the last line that you posted - "God does not care where you have been but only where you are going to go, more importantly where you are going to go with Him." What a profound and thought provoking statement.

Thanks for sharing. I may have to go read or listen to it.