Well we FINALLY started. This process has taken months longer than I expected it to. We really thought we would be digging by mid-late June. Then when we had a few things happen we figured early July...then other things took FOREVER (building permits...) and here we are mid-August and finally starting. But we are SO excited. I literally go to this lot at least twice a day because I am so happy it is finally moving. So here is our lot before we started, all the excavator had done is dig for our water and our sewer. We have gorgeous views out our backyard!
So on Friday August 12th we met with our excavator because there was a problem. Because of the shape and size of our lot it was going to cost thousands more to do our suspended slab that we had planned than we originally thought. Typically what they can do is dig down but spread out a lot of the dirt around your lot, but with how everything is there it wasn't working. So they estimated about $7000 extra just to haul off all of the dirt for that slab. It would also cause problems with our driveway making us have a super steep driveway which I had said from the beginning I really didn't want. So we decided to not do the slab. Both Jake and I were really bummed, but it's okay. It does take out about 800 sq feet that we really would have loved, but it's okay. It is still going to be a really big house without it. It was a storage room and a movie theater that was going in there. The movie theater we can for sure live without, but I was really worried about storage. So our excavator made some adjustments to our garage. So we will now have a really big storage area in the top of our garage to make up for it. So that is good.
Once we got that all figured out they could move forward with the digging. They started this on Monday August 15th. This has definitely been Harley's favorite part. He is obsessed with all things tractor and truck. He had so much fun climbing in this bucket, and watching them dig. He would just plop down and stare.
Pouring the footings. We actually got really lucky this happened so fast. On Wednesday morning I went over and just happened to get there at the same time as the footings guys. But the excavation wasn't done. They were in a big hurry, like all construction people are these days we are learning. Every one is booked out for weeks. And they said that if they couldn't start right then they couldn't come back for another week and a half (which as I am writing this still wouldn't be for 2 more days!) Luckily our excavator is awesome and said he would get it done but they could start on the opposite side of him right then. Wahoo. So that day we got the footing set and then that evening they were poured. It was a mad house on our street. There were 4 cement trucks. But they got it all done.
Then we were back to more waiting. I was hoping the foundation guys could come on Thursday and start, but they were busy. So the soonest they could make it was Monday, yesterday.
So they started laying out forms for the foundation.
And as of a few hours ago this is how far they were! I don't know how late they were working, but I am hoping they finished getting them all set today, so hopefully tomorrow we have concrete coming in again! Then we'll be waiting again for the foundations to cure.
Hopefully we'll be starting framing the first week of September! And I am really hoping that goes VERY fast. But who knows.
So that's were we are so far! I can't wait for it be finished!














No comments:
Post a Comment