Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Morgan County Fair


There are lots of things that I love about living in a small town. 

lots.

But one of my very favorites is the small town fair. 
I look forward to the week of the fair all. year. long. It kicks off with the Morgan Valley Marathon, followed by parades, dinner and concerts in the park, demolition derbys, livestock auctions, kids and adult games galore, delicious foods and yummy lemonades, and finishes off with the rodeo. 

I love it. 

This year thank goodness, did not disappoint! We spent many hours wandering those fairgrounds last week, and we enjoyed every single one of them. And to top it off Jake's parents came out to meet Macie that week, so they spent the week at the fair with us. It made it extra nice because Jake was able to have 2 days off work to spend at the fair with us all day that normally he wouldn't have had. So that made it fun! 

I already blogged about the marathon, parade, and dinner and concert in the park last week. But this time to start out we headed to the Hog Show for Shayli to show her pig.

 Emery loves pigs. 
Like a lot.

So she just heads right in the pens to watch Shayli get hers ready. Shayli's already went to the butcher but my mom and dad still have 4 pigs at their house that Emery cannot visit any less than at least 4 times every time we are there. We are not sure how we are going to break it to her in a few weeks when they head to the butcher and there are no longer pigs to visit. Poor girl. 



After the Hog Show we grabbed some yummy fair food dinner and headed to the Demo Derby. The derby was really good this year! We had a lot of fun. There was one car though that was SO loud. So I had to cover Macie's ears the whole time. Hence the burb cloth over her head ;)









The next morning we got up and just kinda hung around the house that morning. Even though Jake wasn't at work. He was still doing a lot of work from home on his laptop. (like all of his "days off") 
Emery wanted to sit out of the deck and was being so silly. So I grabbed a few pictures of her and her perfectly silly personality. 

Bed head and all. 
Hey, at least she's dressed. 





After Jake finished his work. (And Emery got a new hair do!) We headed back to the fair for some kids games. The first thing Emery did was build a tool box. Jake was pretty much in heaven with this little activity. 
Him and his little girl just building something. 
As you can imagine Emery was loads of help with the glue...



She did do some hammering though. 

Ta-Da!
(She then proceeded to pull off every one of those stickers today and put them all over her face...She is obsessed with stickers)




More kids games. These little bulls were so cute! They were rubber and super bouncy. Emery had a blast on them!


After that we went to the shed where they display all of the ducks, chickens, rabbits, etc...that people entered (and some are selling) in the fair. Emery always loves this part. 




After going home for lunch and a nap we headed back that night for the rodeo. This was Emery's first rodeo since we didn't take her last year, she stayed home with my mom. Probably would've been nice to do the same again this year ;) She was a pill. She can't hold still for 10 seconds and just bounces from one person to the next. 
We were grateful when Atata (what Emery calls my brother Colton, we have no idea why) showed up. He is always a super good babysitter and plays with her a lot. She loves when he is around. 



Saturday morning we got up and going again early! It was Jake's 27th birthday! yay! So I made him one of his favorite breakfasts, Breakfast Burritos, and then we headed back down to the fair! My mom was in charge of a game that they do called Pick your Prize. Basically she has a bunch of games and a prize that corresponds with each game. You sign up for games you play based on what prizes you want. They aren't lame prizes either. This year she got tickets to Lagoon, gift cards to the movie theater and dinner, one of the kid prizes was a new bike! They are good stuff. Emery did the bubble blowing contest. She won a Ring Pop ;) 



Pretty proud of that Ring Pop...




This was the competition for the 2 tickets to Lagoon. There were pie plates full of Whipped Cream with 12 gum balls in each. You had to stick your face in, find a gum ball, clean off all of the whip cream with your mouth, and spit it in the cup. The first to get all 12, won. Shayli ended up winning them!


After Pick your Prize we took Emery over to the Petting Zoo. She always loves these things. She just loves animals so any chance she gets to be around them, and especially pet them, she just soaks it up. 


I wanted to take this puppy home...he was the cutest thing I've ever seen. 

After that we took Emery to the Bounce Houses. She used to be really scared of these, but after our last family reunion when my uncle rented one, she decided they aren't too bad after all. She had a lot of fun. 

After a while of this a certain almost 2 year old started throwing some tantrums, ignoring mom and dad, ya know, the works. So we decided it was time to head back for some lunch and a nap. 
After both girls got a nap and woke up we headed down to Layton to do some birthday shopping for Jake and go to dinner. Jake ended up getting a big, nice tool chest from his parents for his birthday that he is really excited about!

 And of course for his birthday dinner he decided to go to Red Robin. 
Shocker I know. He has picked the same restaurant for his birthday ever since we got married. 
Next year I'm determined to get him out somewhere else!
We loved having the Allen's come down and go our with us too! Especially when the Baby Whisperer (aka Debbie Allen) put my screaming, out of control, 3 week old to sleep. How you ask? I have no idea. Nothing I was doing was working. That lady is a miracle worker I tell you. Love her. 



Sunday we went on a scenic drive with my parents and had lunch in the park. I didn't know we were having lunch in the park though so I had left Jake's cake at home... :( So we didn't get to have it until after his parents left. This year Jake requested a Snicker's cake...I wasn't quite sure what that entailed so I experimented. He ended up with a chocolate cake with caramel frosting, and nuts on top. He said he loved it so I guess it was a success! He took the leftovers to work with him the next day and they were gone in a flash he said.  



Happy Birthday love! Hope it was a good one!

Truthfully it was a very exhausting weekend....I was exhausted...Emery was somewhere way beyond that that was just making life really hard on every one trying to discipline her (me and Jake....) But it was a fun weekend! Luckily Emery's all caught up on sleep now and much better behaved. I'm...not caught up on sleep...(maybe when I'm 50 I'll get there) But I do feel more organized now that we're back to our normal routine! (Even if my house is a mess right now...hey it was clean yesterday, should've come over then). 
It was great having Jake's parents out here for few days to celebrate with us. Thanks for coming!

And as for the fair, I'm already looking forward to next year.  

1 comment:

Gwen said...

You'll have to bring her by our house to see Miss Piggy (our pot bellied pig), and ride on Shady (the miniature horse) and see the ducks and turkeys and chickens and goats.