Sunday, September 8, 2013

Layton Classic 10k and James Taylor Concert


Way back when Macie about 3 weeks old I wanted something to get me motivated back into running. While I have grown to enjoy running, it's really hard for me to stay motivated when I don't have anything to work for. So we did a little research on upcoming races and found the IHC Classic 10k in Layton. IHC sponsored it to raise money for Heart Disease research. So after some coaxing from Jake I decided to sign up and do it. Little did I know how little time for running there would be...haha. I have been able to workout, as long as it's in my living room! Being able to find an hour to go out on a run, has been difficult. I have my double jogging stroller that I did use a few times, but it is difficult pushing an extra 70 pounds between kids and stroller! So I really wasn't able to train near as much as I wanted to, but I still had a lot of fun and was glad to do it. I had two goals for myself, the first is a goal I have at every race I do, and have been able to achieve at every race I've done and that is to never walk. And the second was to finish in an hour. After not being able to train like I wanted I knew I wasn't going to finish in an hour. But I did finish without walking at all. Running 6.2 miles 2 months after having a baby was enough for me to be proud of. When people at the finish line saw me with Macie I got a few comments on that too. I ended up finishing in 1 hour and 13 minutes, so about 13 minutes slower than I wanted, but like I said. I am happy with it. 



The race started and finished at Layton Park so while I was gone Jake let Emery play on the playground. 

And it looks like Macie slept..! I love this picture that Jake took of her. Emery has taken a particular liking to this doll lately. She gave it to Macie while she was playing, she is such a sweet big sister. I love how Macie has her arm all wrapper around it. 



These are the people I was impressed with....! Pushing Triplets!! They did the 5k not the 10k, but still. 

This is the only picture of me coming across the finish line, haha. The camera died right after he took this. 


Later that night I had a new "first" as a parent...leaving my kids with a babysitter...yes I know I have an almost 2 year old. But they have never been with a babysitter that wasn't my mom, dad, or sister. Ever. But since there was a BYU game that night, they were all going to be out of town, so I had to find one! I had some major anxiety. I wrote a two page list of little tid bits of information I figured would be helpful. ;) yeah I'm a crazy protective mom I know. I made sure that she knew what she was doing when it came to taking care of a newborn. But I still was so nervous. But with a little prodding from Jake I was able to leave them...but not without tears shed as we pulled out of the driveway.
Sometimes I look back to when I was babysitting all the time and even though I thought I knew what I was doing, I have learned since being a mom that I had no idea..! haha. I think I was a pretty good babysitter, they were always fed, we played games, the house was cleaned, ya know, all the things you expect from a baby sitter. But I had no idea how trusting those people were being by leaving their most precious possessions in the world in my care. 
But good news. The kids did great. Emery didn't even scream when we left, which I truthfully really expected to happen!


Now on to where we even went in order to need a babysitter! My mom gave us tickets to the O.C. Tanner Gift of Music concert. This year, along with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Utah Symphony that do it every year, it was James Taylor singing with them. So we headed down to Salt Lake and met up with my brother and sister-in-law since they were going with us. We went to Olive Garden for dinner and then headed to the concert. It was unbelievable. SO good. There was a good mix of songs that made it really fun. Folk Hymns, African American Hymns, songs from musicals, and lots of James Taylor originals. It was really neat. He is a unbelievable singer and that combined with the unbelievable talent of the Tabernacle Choir was so fun to watch. 
We kept our phones close by with ESPN going to keep us updated on the BYU vs. Texas game. Talk about a good game too! I am so glad they won, and what a big win too! I hope this momentum continues through the season!







As hard as it was to leave my babies, when we pulled out of the driveway as I was crying Jake says it has to happen sometime...and he's right. They have to be with a babysitter at some point! I'm glad we did it though. I was really hesitant to leave Macie, but we had so much fun. It was so fun to be out with just the two of us! Thanks Babe!

No comments: