She's here, she's here! And we are so excited ;) Miss Macie Ann Welker decided she was ready to join us Monday, July 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM.
And so that I don't forget, here is the story of her coming into the world:
We had been very anxiously awaiting Macie's arrival for weeks! Originally my due date was June 21st, but after an ultrasound they determined that she was too small and bumped my date back to July 5th. I kind of hoped that they would end up moving the due date back, but they didn't, but then I really hoped that she would be more on the June 21st schedule and come early! I didn't really have signs of that happening though. That week was week 38 and I was only dialated to a 1. The occasional Braxton-Hicks, but nothing too different than what you have the whole time essentially. So I just kept waiting, and was doing so pretty patiently!
It was that following weekend, June 23rdish, that I really started to get antsy. The Braxton-Hicks really picked up and I thought for sure we would have a baby within a week. They got stronger and stronger, and more and more often, but never regular, and never leading anywhere. I really felt like she was going to come though. That Friday was my birthday and I wondered if she would come that day. I went to my 39 week appointment though, and only dilated to a 1 1/2, partially effaced, but the biggest thing was she was still very high. That's when I started to get worried. As most of you know I had a C-Section with Emery and one of the problems was she didn't drop. She stayed very high. This time we had been trying for a VBAC (Vaginal Birth after C-Section) the whole time, and so far everything had been working out for us to be able to. But at this ultrasound she was face up, and not dropping, which had my doctor a little concerned about being able to have a successful VBAC. The one thing that was in our favor though was that the thing that was causing the most problems with Emery was the extremely high levels of amniotic fluid I had, which I didn't have this time. So we kept up hope! The next day she flipped to face down though, so I was really excited that everything was continuing to work out! The contractions got more and more often, and all the other "signs of labor" were there too. We walked and walked, bounced on balls, everything. But no such luck. My doctor was leaving to go out of town on the 3rd of July so she had me come back on the 2nd for my 40 week appointment to see what was happening before she left.
So we did. And still no changes. Other than I was dilated to a 2. Still no dropping though. My doctor didn't seem to concerned about it though. She said we would just keep waiting. She told us to come back on the 10th after she got back from Lake Powell and we could either schedule a C-Section or do an induction if that is what we wanted. I really didn't want either honestly. Obviously I was really trying to not have a C-section this time, but the induction made me nervous as well. The medication they use for inductions isn't good for people who have had C-Section's before, it increases the risk of Uterine Rupture, and the risk of having to have a repeat C-section. So we just kept praying that she would decide to come naturally. Day and day of waiting! My due date came and went and we were getting so anxious! Mostly me probably. Jake would have been more patient if I hadn't been complaining probably. The biggest thing was it was just so hot! For a week straight it was 100+ degrees. I had no energy to take Emery to do anything, mostly just because it was so hot outside. I couldn't sit out there without dying. Luckily I have seriously awesome friends though who still got me out of the house, to lunches, library story times, and just coming over to our house to play in a cool house! It made the time pass quicker, and gave Emery something to do. So it was awesome.
The weekend came, my due date had passed, I was avoiding going anywhere because every time I did it was "You're still pregnant?! When are you due?" "Last week...". I had kind of just accepted that I was going to be pregnant for about another week, going to have to go to my appointment, and make the decision between C-section and Induction (we had already decided we were going with induction though), and just keep waiting. Sunday after church and everything we went to my parents for dinner like usual, and spent the evening up there. We usually go for a long walk, especially lately, but didn't that night. I had been having all my usual Braxton -Hicks contractions, but nothing that I hadn't been having for about 2 weeks already. Jake and my dad watched a movie and after it was over we headed home. We got home just a little before 11, Emery was already asleep so we just stuck her in her bed, got ready for bed ourselves, and climbed in about 11:30. Every night I get in bed and my mind finally starts to slow down and I remember about 10 things that I have been needing to do but keep forgetting to do. As usual it happened again, but this time I decided I was going to put a reminder on my phone so that I could definitely get all of it done. So I rolled over and grabbed my phone and immediately got this excruciating pain in my stomach and back. I tried to just wait it out but it didn't go away, so I got up and went into the bathroom and was just trying to stand there and wait it out, it just kept hurting and hurting, so bad. Jake heard me and asked if I was okay, I wasn't sure if I was! It hurt so bad! He immediately asked, is this the real thing? Again...I wasn't sure. I had always expected to start having some minor contractions, not too painful, regular, and starting farther apart. Slowly getting closer together and more painful. So I just figured that once again these were just some Braxton-Hicks that would happen a few times and be gone. I was really trying not to get my hopes up. I had Jake get my phone though and start tracking them on this app I had downloaded before. For 20 minutes I had these contractions 3-5 minutes apart, and extremely painful, no walking or talking them out. They had just come out of nowhere. Jake kept saying let's just go to the hospital, this is real, but I was still skeptical. After about 20 minutes, at almost exactly midnight I sat down on the recliner in our bedroom and was talking about what we should do with Jake when I just felt a gush of water. It wasn't very much though but I was pretty sure that my water had broken. I was really pretty sure though. Jake was pretty positive though. He called my mom and told her we were on our way. Just our luck that this all happened less than an hour after leaving their house! So we got Emery out of bed and headed to drop her off. Shayli met us outside and took Emery and we were off.
I had continued timing the contractions and they were now coming about every 2-3 minutes. I was still surprised they had just come on so intense and so close. The most painful thing was that they weren't lasting like 30-60 seconds, they were last like a 1-2 minutes each. Some even almost 3 minutes!
We arrived at the hospital just a few minutes after 1:00. Got checked in, and they got a nurse to come in and check me. She wasn't too friendly and acted pretty put out. She didn't believe me that my water had broken. She checked me and I was dilated to a 3 though, so that was good news. A little while later another lady came in and checked to see if my water had in fact broken, and it had. So we were definitely staying. I knew these contractions were no joke though before that though so I already knew we weren't going any where. No Braxton-Hicks can hurt like that! They asked if I wanted an epidural and I decided I wanted to wait and see how it went. My actual nurse came in and got me all set up with an IV, and monitors and all that. I really wanted to get in the jetted tub and try to ease some of this contraction pain but since my water had broken I wasn't allowed. Earlier that day I had noticed that she had switched back face up though so it was all 100% back labor. Between that and my "cushion" of fluid not being there any more, it was excruciating. But we kept at it. Jake helping me breathe through them. After about 2 hours they checked me again and I was still only at a 3 1/2. They offered to start me on Pitocin to get it moving faster, but I really didn't want any unless I completely stopped. After 3 hours they checked me again and I was a 4 and only 60% effaced. It was still going to a while, again I declined the epidural and the Pitocin. My nurse was shocked at some of my contractions, they were so intense and would last almost 3 minutes. It was crazy. After 4 hours and no changes, still a 4 but I was 80% effaced. But her head hadn't come down at all! Between the back labor, the ever so slow progress, and having been awake for 24 hours straight already at this point, I decided to get the epidural. I wondered if I would regret it, but I didn't and don't. Little did I know this would go on for 14 hours. I got my epidural at about 5 in the morning, and it was amazing. I couldn't believe the difference. Jake was able to get some sleep, not me though, I was still up all night. I really tried to, but they were coming in to check something or do something literally every 20 minutes so it just wouldn't happen.
At 6:30 they checked me again, 5 and about 90%, at 9:00 an 8 and 90%, and at 9:45 a 9 and 100%. My nurse was sure we would start pushing in the next hour. She called the doctor just to make him aware and we waited. And waited, and waited and waited. It was like everything came to a complete stand still for hours. Finally when she checked me at 12:00 I was a 10 and 100%, and her head was finally starting to move down. But this time it had been 12 1/2 hours of labor and I was grateful for the epidural I couldn't stand it. I had been awake for 31 hours at this point, and I was tired, but I was surprised at how awake I was. Adrenaline I guess! We waited another hour and finally nurse said it was time to get the room set up and get ready to push. I couldn't believe it! Not much longer and our little angel would be here! At about 1:10 we started pushing. Everything was going really well. After about 10 minutes though during one of the pushes she had a major decel and her heart rate dropped clear down in about the 60s. To say it freaked me out was an understatement. My doctor (who wasn't really my doctor, she was still gone and the other doctor was covering for her for 1 more hour until she got back!) he wasn't there though, I thought for sure we were going to be rushed in for an emergency C-section. My nurse didn't seem to concerned though so that really helped me calm. (I LOVED my nurse by the way, her name was April, and she was so wonderful.) She got some oxygen on me and the baby's heart rate came right back up. Huge sigh of relief. She called Dr. Beirer to let him know what had happened and that we were pushing and he should start getting there.
He got there about 1:30 and we pushed for 6 more minutes and at 1:36 PM little Macie was born. Perfectly healthy. She immediately started crying and he immediately handed her to me. Jake got to cut the cord. We are immediately in love. It was so much nicer than the C-section where I didn't even get to see her until she was cleaned up or even hold her for about an hour and half. After we oooed and ahhed over her for a little while they took her to clean her up. Jake went over with her while the doctor finished with me. I got a 2nd degree tear that was bleeding really bad so it took him quite a while to get me all ready, but I still got to hold little Macie and Jake was doing a bunch with her too so I didn't mind too much. She was perfect healthy. The only small issue she had was right before she was born she took a big gulp of fluid so her lungs were full of fluid. But after some suction she was good as new.
Honestly this recovery has been a whole different world than a C-section was. I can't believe that I got to go home 24 hours later, and within just little while of her birth I was up and going to the bathroom, and walking, alone and with only moderate pain. I am so incredibly grateful for the modern medicine that allowed me to have a C-section with Emery and get her here perfectly healthy and safe, but I am so so grateful that I didn't have to go through it this time. With a toddler around it would've just made the recovery that much harder, and Jake would have to take a lot of time off work to stay home and help.
Macie Ann Welker
8 pounds 3.7 ounces and 19 1/2 inches
(Emery was 8 pounds 2 ounces and 19 1/2 inches, so they were almost the same. I had Macie a week later than I had Emery)
1:36 PM
We could not decide on a name! For months we have gone through name after name after name! It would stick for about a week and then it would be out and we'd have another one. The only name that actually made it through the whole time was Lily. But we just weren't set on it completely. A few months ago Jake suggested Macie, I wasn't sold on it at first but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. But we still just couldn't decide for sure. We did finally narrow it down to Lily or Macie. Beyond that we just knew we would have to see her to make our final decision. Once she was born though it was only a few minutes before we both knew she was a Macie. While they were cleaning her up I kept thinking about what I thought she looked like and I could only think of Macie, and a few minutes later Jake came over and said I think she is a Macie. So it was settled! Macie it is! Ann is after me, it's my middle name, which came from my mom's name as well. So there ya have it. Macie Ann.
After everything was cleaned up and we had some time with the baby, my mom came and brought Emery to meet her baby sister! She was very skeptical...She was really excited to see Jake and I though. She came to me at first and sat there for a few minutes but then she wanted Jake. I was still hooked up to my IV, and blood pressure cuff and I think all of the cords and stuff scared her pretty bad.
Emery would sit down and hug her and kiss her, but she is just barely starting to understand that she is our baby and she is staying. She had really hard time once Grandpa came and was holding the baby, and then when Uncle Colton and Aunt Haley came and were holding the baby too. She really couldn't figure out why every one was giving this baby so much attention when she is used to having it 100% on her. After Colton and Haley held Macie for a few minutes they just sat and played with Emery and I think that made her feel a little better. It was a really hard day for her though. She is getting better though.
Getting some loves from Grandma. Poor girl was so upset. She gets really really sad when Macie cries. She was crying and Jake was rocking her which made Emery start crying but she wouldn't come to me with all my tubes so she just wanted Grandma.
Our first family picture as a family of 4 ;)
I've looked better...but oh well. That's what no sleep for 36 hours and 14 hours of labor will do to ya.
That night Emery went back home with my parents and stayed the night. This week ended up being probably the worst week to have the baby since my sister Shayli, who was planning on watching Emery for a few days, is gone to cheer camp! My mom took Monday off work, but had a meeting she had to be on Tuesday so Jake spent the night at the hospital, but then that morning and picked up Emery. I think it actually ended up working better that way though. Emery was in desperate need of some attention from Mom or Dad. So Jake just let her decide everything they did the whole morning. They went on bike rides, ate donuts and ice cream, played with the kitty, went to the park, all of Emery's favorite things. It helped her so much. It worked out for me too because I was finally able to get some sleep. I let the nursery take Macie and I was able to nap a little bit in between doctors coming in and people needing paperwork filled out. It worked out nice.
Also while they were gone I was able to snap some pictures of Macie's adorableness ;)
After lunch Jake and Emery came back to the hospital. We couldn't go home until after 24 hours so we had to wait until at least 1:30. But then my nurse was super super slow getting our stuff ready. Finally around 4:30 we were finally able to actually leave the hospital. Thank goodness! Emery was going nuts, and we were about to go crazy trying to keep her entertained!
Macie in her dress grandma brought her. All ready to head home!
I can't believe how tiny they are. And how fast they grow! Seems like yesterday Emery was that same size in that same car seat!
After we got home we were all beat. Emery hadn't had more than a 20 minute nap so we laid her down and then Macie ate and fell asleep, so I fell asleep. And I'm pretty sure Jake wasn't far behind us!
We are just so happy to be home. There is nothing fun about being in a hospital.
Macie is the sweetest little baby. She honestly never cries. It's scary almost. I have to set an alarm to wake her up to feed her because she won't! She just sleeps and sleeps. They had to do the same thing in the hospital, she hadn't eaten for 4 hours so they came and brought her to me so I could wake her up to feed her. She would sleep through the whole night if we'd let her. We won't let her go more than 4 hours without eating. She has done a little bit better today with waking up and at least acting hungry. But she still rarely cries! She is a major cuddler, she doesn't like to sleep without being completely cuddled up in a ball on your chest. Just like Emery she doesn't like sleeping on her back. I didn't know what to do with Emery and I don't know what to do this time either. They say not to let them sleep on their stomachs but that is honestly the only time she sleeps well is on her stomach. So we'll see how it goes I guess!
Emery is continually doing better. She has done really well today. She always wanting to give her kisses, and hugs, and will hold her for a few minutes too. We are really trying to give her as much attention as we can still. Jake being home has helped immensely. There is no way I could be doing this on my own. He is seriously amazing. Emery loves Macie, she will tell her too, but she is still adjusting to the changes. I am excited though because I know they will be best friends in time.
So far in our two days as a family of four it's been quite the roller coaster! We love it, and it is taking some adjusting, as expected, but I can't imagine Macie not being here in our family. We just love this little sweetie so much. She has her daddy wrapped around her finger just as tight as Emery did. He is totally smitten with his girls. Emery has become super possessive of him the past couple days, and she wants him all the time. Times when she would normally come to me, if I take her she just wants daddy. I think she is a little mad at me for all the time I spend with the baby ;) All in time. We're just taking it one day at a time right now and absolutely loving every minute of it!







































6 comments:
I loved reading your birth story! I'm going to have to go back and read Emery's story now because I just found out I will probably have to have a c-section also (only it's because my fluid is too low....we should have swapped!)
What a beautiful baby. Congratulations and thanks for sharing Kara!
oh my! she is SO darling!!! :) i loved reading your birth story! :) congrats on both your cute girls!!! :)
She is beautiful!! Love reading her birth story.
Love her amazing dark hair! I'm so glad that things went well.
these photos are beyond precious. congrats Welkers!!
I loved reading this. She is beautiful, and I'm so happy for you that you didn't have to have another C-section. Congrats!
Post a Comment