Thursday, August 13, 2009

{Centre de Histórico}

Today was good for me! Relaxed, but busy at the same time. But it was a good day, we went to the Centro Historico today and it is SOOO beautiful! We went saw a bunch of churches, cathedrals, and convents! SO gorgeous, we went to San Augustine, San Franciscon, Iglesia de la Compañia de Jesus, and so many more. They are gorgeous. Absolutely amazing. A few thoughts that I had while touring these #1- It makes me so sad how much they focus on the the crucifixion of Christ, I wish I could explain the Resurrection to everyone! They depict it so terribly. I understand it wasn´t pretty thing per se, and the Atonement is absolutely crucial. But in their eyes it isn´t the Atonement, it is the Crucifixion, they focus only on that. I love that we know that He Lives! And that we know that we will be Resurrected too! I love that we know that we can be forgiven for our sins, and that the Atonement was more than just a crucifixion, it was a manifestation of the GREATEST love. ¨For God so loved the world that he gave His only Begotten Son¨ I wish they could see that. #2-I am SOOO glad that our temples are sacred places of worship that you only enter when you are worthy. Walking through these churches, there were people in there praying and worshipping, but then there will a bunch of tourists walking around taking pictures and making noise. It was definately more quiet than outside but still, not somewhere where I would feel the spirit. When I walk into one of our churches, I am instantly filled with peace and the spirit. Today I did not feel that one time and I went to a lot of churches. Just another manifestation of the truthfullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love it, my testimony has been strengthen SOO much being here. I can´t even tell you. As beautiful as these cathedrals and churches and convents are...the are incomparible to the beauty, the peace, and the spirit inside our temples. Granted I have not been through the temple yet, but even just being at all the open houses of the recent temples opening, and doing baptisms, even just walking around outside, it is incomparable. I am so glad we can go to the temple to worship and we don´t have people paying a dollar to come walk around a take pìctures and watch us. So grateful :) But we also went to another place...dang Í cant remember what it is called, but it is where the President of Ecuador lives, pretty crazy they just let you in there, you just have to show some kind of identification, I just had to show a copy of my passport and your in! haha...never would that happen in the US I am sure...But it was pretty sweet. We went to Plaza de Indepencia, and then also again to the Artisan Mercado and I got a few more things :) I have like 2 more things to buy for people! yay! Tonight we had a birthday party for Paulita (a neighbor, the sister of Marty the guy Sivania and his mom and dad keep trying to hook us up) They kicked that into high gear tonight, must be because I am leaving in like 5 days...haha They were making us sit together and take pictures together and him put his arm around me...so awkward...They have these marshmallows, they are white but the middle is pink and they are called Besos de Novio, what you do is you bite into one and then your ´novio´is supposed to bite the other side and you kiss...Well they kept trying to get me to do that with him...it was so awkward I can´t even tell you. I am sure my face was bright red. One good side to it all though I guess is they were all drinking Champagne, and he wouldn´t drink any because I wasn´t haha. So that was good :) Maybe I´ll use this to his advantage and get him interested in the church...we´ll see haha. I did drink Coke today for the first time...caffeine for the first time really. I have had sips of it here and there, But my options for beverages were...Champagne, water (from the tap) and coke. I went with the Coke because I did not want the illnesses from that water! And I figured with what I have eaten here the Coke could only help haha. I did take my first Cipro like 2 days ago though, I had been have the WORST stomach cramps for like 2 days but I wanted my body to fight off whatever illness it was, but it couldn´t do it...so 2 Cipro later I feel great :) I ate at two places in Quito today though so I am sure I will get sick again. I ate Enchocado de Camerones today...oh my....delicious!!!!! Tomorrow we are going to the Mitad del Mundo, the Ecuator, and one last stop at the Artesian Mercado. It should be fun, we´ll be doing that later in the afternoon. But it should be awesome!

No comments: