Wednesday, August 12, 2009
{H.C.A.M}
Hey!! :) It is so sad here, I just do what I can where ever I can. There are people everywhere yelling, you´d think a huge disaster had hit. You know on the movies when there is an earth quake or something and people are everywhere yelling and the nurses and doctors are running around..that is that hospital exactly. It is insane, what makes it even more sad is that a lot of them have diseases that we just don´t have in the US at all. Which is so hard for me to see. I saw someone with malaria today...you would never see that in the US ever. It was one of the wierdest diseases I have ever seen. Literally like the movies, the white of his eyes were yellow and eh I could describe it to you, but it would gross you out for sure. We had a guy die this morning first thing. So sad. THe family was histerical. We had another patient that was just crossing the street and got hit by a guy on a motocycle (driving here is ridiculous...they just drive and honk and if you don´t move when they honk they hit you...) but he was cut up everywhere and had a big gash in his head and was bleeding every where. We had to intubate him and then stop the bleeding, and his brain was swelling. THen he stopped breathing and we had to do CPR on his for at least 10 min, he came back though! YAY! It was insane, I wish I could just go on and on about all the patients, but that would take days. There was so much though, so sad :( Marcella and her boyfriend came and picked me up from the hospital today because I was so scared so yes I got back safely yay! I just have to listen to the Spirit, if it says don´t go there, you better believe that I don´t! NO WAY! But today was good, pretty relaxed, after I got back from the hospital Marcella and I went on a walk. Then came home ate dinner, then went swimming! yay! Then I just sat here on my bed and practiced spanish...now here I am! Showered and ready for bed. I was also going to tell you about a few more random Ecuador things...Handwashing...they practically don´t believe in it. They NEVER wash their hands after going to the bathroom. The ONLY public bathroom I have been in that had soap including the hospital was the church´s bathroom on Sunday. I am so glad I brought those three things of hand sanitizer, I swear I am using them every 30 seconds. Dogs...there are SOO many dogs here, everywhere. 90% of them are homeless I am pretty sure. They are everywhere laying in the streets, anywhere, sooooo many. I´m not usually an animal rights person by any means, but it is kinda sad to see so many everywhere you go! They are also obsessed with anything with Vitamin or Minerals...especially Calcium! Silvana is always trying to feed me and she always says it has calcium!! Eat! I just laugh, you could sell these people anything as long as you said it had minerals. They have this really cool thing that they do though, it is a little sad, but it´s neat. Like I said, the driver´s here are insane, literally, and people are being hit and killed by cars a lot. Whenever some one is killed in a traffic accident or something they paint a big purple heart on the road, it is sad though because you´ll be driving and there will be like 4 hearts in one spot. But it is also good because it reminds the (some) drivers to slow down a little and be careful. It is sad, but it is a good thing to do. But that is about it today. It was just a slow day (other than the time at the hospital of course) tomorrow I am off so Marcella and Gabrielle and I are going to the historic downtown. I am so excited!! It will be awesome! I saw the missionaries on the metrobus! haha it was hilarious. Everytime I see two people in suits I look to see if they have name tags and they never do. Well I got on the bus sat down, and then turned around and in the back of this crowded bus I saw them standing up and saw their name tags! I jumped out of my seat and told someone else to sit there and went back saying Elderes Elderes! Unfortunately there were both native Ecuadorians and neither spoke english. But I talked to them for a minute, they weren´t super friendly not gonna lie, it could´ve been because I scared them though haha some random American girl so excited to see them. They were probably a little worried let´s be honest. But it was really good to see them anyway :) Well I am tired :) good night! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment