Monday, August 3, 2009

Hogar de Vida 1 y Casa de Niñez 2

Hola!! I saw an ´iglesia de jesuchristo de los santos de los ultimas dias´today and I got SO excited! Anything familiar just makes me happy! I love love the Spanish Culture so much! And the language, it is coming good, it´s only the first day actually speaking it but i feel like I learned a lot today! But today was really good! It strated off going in to Quito to La FLoresta I had pan y plantanos para desayuna, (bread and bananas for breakfast) delicious! Then two other nurses and i headed to Hogar de Vida 1, it was so sad, the people there have all just been picked up off the streets and brought there. So sad. We actually only stayed there for about two hours and then headed back to la armenia to the casa de ninez 2, and I LOVE LOVE it there! It is all boy under 18, and they are so cute! It is the same with them, they have just been picked up off the streets and brought to this place to make a better life for themselves. This place gives them an education, they get food, and hopefully their families take them back, if they don´t they get to stay until they are 18 and by then they figure they can make a living for themselves. these boys are adorable, they ncest boys ever. Of course you know in this culture you greet EVERYONE with a hug and kiss on the cheek, well me being an american girl they greet me every time they see me with a kiss on the cheek :) haha i have never felt so loved! haha We started the day off with them teaching them spanish. these boys have never been to school so they speak spanish but they don´t know why..and some can´t read. I spent about 2 hours teaching an 17 year old how to read spanish. They are so sweet. then we just played around for a few hours, then we had lunch! Not sure what it was...it was very good though! Rice with some kind of meatball thing, it wasn´t beef...kinda scared to konw what meat it was but it was so good! Then fried squash (i think) and lots of rice and some kind of broccoli and potato soup that was to die for! I drank some kind of juice, not sure what it was but it was good! haha! Then...after lunch is their favorite time! Sam and I promised to teach them english! they love it. they just kept saying, ¨Kara (except they say either cada or clada because they can´t say it haha and it is cara in spanish) but they would say ¨Kara como se dice te amo en ingles¨me--I love you them-kara I love you como se dice la boca en ingles me--mouth them---Kara i love you mouth como se dice los ojos en espanol me---eyes them--Kara I love you eyes...haha you get the picture, they did this a lot with bonita as well they would ask what bonita was in english then say your eyes are beautiful and on and on haha. After teaching english we played hours and hours of futbol, these kids are AMAZING at soccer...seriously. it amazes me, but it makes sense because they play for hours everday! It just breaks my heart to see them though, one boy, Francisco, was SO sad all day, wouldn´t talk to anyone because he missed his family so much, but they just put him out on the street so that is why he is there, he is only 10, it is seriously so sad. While they were playing soccer I was playing games with some of the younger one kept coming over un ambrazo por bueno suerte un beso por bueno suerte haha then everytime they would do something good, Clada Clada and give me two big thumbs up haha They keep trying to ¨set me and sam up¨they will come up and hold one of his hands and then one of mine and try to hurry and put our hands together and run haha. It is hilarious, they think it is so funny. They keep asking Tienes un novio en estados unidos,(do you have a boyfriend in he united states) i say no I don´t and the one kid gets this shocked look on his face and says, ¨¿porque? ¿No te gusta hombres?¨ (why? you don´t like boys?) haha it was HILARIOUS, he didn´t konw what to think! But it has been so good so far, I have mostly eaten a lot of fruit, other than that pan this morning and the rice and stuff this afternoon. The fruit is to die for here though, so good!! Oh I guess I did eat toasted maize i think is how yu spell it...have you had that before? it was a fun little snack, they taught me how to make it though so i will make you some :) there were bits of some kind of meat i was once again not sure what it was that was in it, but i didn´t eat the meat because they just make this stuff and leave it sitting on the counter and I did not want to eat meat that had been sitting there for days....haha they also leave their eggs on the counter...no so sure how safe I feel with that but we´ll see! THey aren´t home from work yet today so I don´t konw what is for dinner! I´m sure it will be amazing though! BUt yeah there is today´s update!! I hope all is well en las Estados Unidos! Can´t wait to hear back from you!! peace :)once again super sorry about the spelling...these keyboards are so hard! they are different! kara :)

1 comment:

Terry Lynn said...

You are definately getting a culture experience aren't you. Is it hot there? Hotter than here? Just curious. Have fun