Monday, August 10, 2009
{Hospital de Clinicas Pinchicha ER}
My day was crazy....the ER was way crazy today. SOOO much swine flu here...I wore a mask all day and I hate those masks!! I hate them in the US and I hate them here! I helped the doctor put in a central line today though. That was crazy to see how they do that here...I couldn´t believe it, NO pain meds at all, just cutting open his neck, he took a blade and just shoved it in the vein to make a whole and then the hole wasn´t big enough so he just pushed until it went in. I felt so bad for the poor man! Then another time I was helping the doctor stich up a kids face but the cut went just below a mole and he couldn´t stitch it up with the mole there so he just takes a blade and literally just cuts at this kids face until he cuts the entire mole out... (no pain meds at all...) I felt so bad for the boy, he was probably like 15, he couldn´t move at all either or the doctor would mess up. But it was a good learning day. I´m at a even different hospital tomorrow, but ER again. Also today Marcella, Marty and I went to the La Mariscal Artisan Mercado. It was fun. I bought a lot of sweet stuff :) Ecuador is awesome though, I am definately coming back someday! They are super funny about some things though... first off Toilet Paper...they are very particular about it. In bathrooms they will have one roll outside both the mens and womens bathroom and there is ALWAYS a sign above it telling you to only take a little bit. At the Panecillo when Sam and I went last week, there was a lady that her job was to sit in front of the bathrooms and she would pull off like 5 squares and fold them and put them in a basket and you got to take one when you went in...no joke...I laughed so hard! They also don´t put it in the toilet, there is a garbage next to every toilet and the toilet paper goes in there...yay...Eggs, they never fry eggs for breakfast, if you have a egg for breakfast it is always boiled..! IF they fry an egg it is for dinner or lunch and they literally fry it. They fill up a pan with oil until it is hot and then break a egg in it and fry it. Pretty greasy and it doesn´t really taste all that good if you ask me... Seatbelts...they discourage against wearing them here most of the time. IF the car even has them! Every car I have been in so far the driver is the only one that even has a seatbelt haha. it makes me laugh. Barefeet...you are never barefoot. Even in your own house, you have on shoes or slippers. I love being barefoot in the house and the first two days I would take off my shoes and just walk around and Silvana kept asking me where my shoes were. You just don´t got barefoot! The climate is pretty similar to Utah in the summer, but it is year round here. Except in the winter it rains a ton!! But now it is like 70-75 during the day and it get´s pretty cool at night. I wear a jacket basically everyday. Those are all the funny things I can think of right now...But I love them. They are wonderful people, so accepting so nice. Everytime I meet someone new they tell me welcome to my country. Sometimes in english even! :) Love those days :) haha. My brain is totally on Spanish overload and needs english...ahhh! Tomorrow = ER at Hospital Carlos Andrade Marin with Dr. Romo :) yay ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so gros!!!! Thank goodness for pain killers...poor people. How do they handle it?
I have no idea...seriously it was making me cringe for them! So sad!!
Post a Comment