Tuesday, August 11, 2009
{Hospital Carlos Andrade Marin}
Hey hey! Today was crazy...Oh boy. Woke up and left here about 7:15...I was supposed to be at that hospital by eight...yeah didn´t get there until 8:30, the buses are so crazy here. Marcella´s school is right by that hospital (thank goodness) and there is no way I would´ve found it without her. Once I got off the bus I still had to walk like 5 blocks. I finally got to the hospital and was not expecting what I saw. This is a public hospital so everyone goes there, all the people who don´t have insurance, can´t pay, everything. I have never seen so many people in one ER. There were people lined up down the hallways begging to get in, they had cops standing at the door only letting in the ones that were dying. Once I got past the cops I walked down the hallway of the actual ER, there are onlyl ike 7 or 8 rooms, each room had between 6-8 people crammed in there. It was unbelievable. I can´t even begin to describe it to you. There were bed lined up against the wall with patients in them just moaning and yelling Doctor! So sad. There is a room it´s called ´criticos´ and that is where the doctor that I am with works most of the time. He is in charge of the sickest patients. There were between 4-5 patients in this room all the time. So sad. There is so sense of santitation and cross contamination here. They will put on one pair of gloves and just go at it. It makes me cringe! AHHH! Honestly there is no way to explain it. I am going to try to take some pictures of it tomorrow though...we´ll see if I actually can. There was one lady that couldn´t move at all, she was way old, and she had pressure sores from her waist down everywhere... (she was only probably 3 feet tall at the most) but they were terrible! The worst I have ever seen. And I could just tell my the smell of them how infected they were. She will definately die from there. They are way past the point of healing. I could just go on and on with sad stories. It was worse that I ever imagined it would be at this place. After I got off Marcella met me and we went into downtown Quito to the Basillica. I got a lot of pictures of the Basillica, it is gorgeous! SOOO big. Very beautiful. But it was a good day, just really crazy. ¨Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee, yea I will help thee, yes I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness¨ (Isaiah 41:10) My theme scripture here :) I have it written on a peice of paper in my pocket where I go here :) Sam is still at Casa de Niñez 2, he leaves friday..I´m sad, we´ve become really good friends! But oh well....Maybe we´ll meet up someday! Ahh....well I am off to bed. I am seriously exhausted from today. It´s a mental, emotional, physical tired. I will not be the same person I was when I get home. I have seen way too much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow Kara......this is such a good experience huh. A forever changing experience. I am happy you are getting the experience though.
Post a Comment