Sunday, August 2, 2009

Estoy Aqui- Dia 1 y 2

Well I am here! And it is beautiful! It took forever to get here...17 hours..but totally worth it, by the way Guatemala and Costa Rica are gorgeous as well...defnately going there someday! Guatemala for sure for a humanitarian, they were living in unbelieable poverty. I will apologize in advance for spelling or other errors..their keyboards are so wierd here. It takes twice as long to write things! But I made it here, the end of the flight from Costa Rica to Quito was a little scary...almost thought we weren´t gonna make it...haha! When we landed everyone started cheering! But we made it :) I got off the plan and began the adventure, since I left LA EVERYTHING had been in Spanish so that wasn´t a HUGE shock, just a shock...haha. I got through customs and they checked my passport etc...and got out side and was bombarded with people wanting to buy things...I had to constantly be moving and apologizing or they would just attack me! And the guy that was supposed to pick me up wasn´t there...yay...worst nightmare coming true. So I walked around outside for a min etc....couldn´t find him. Tried to use a phone but you have to have these special cards, finally found one to buy, but could NOT figure out how to use the phone...So I started walking around and said a prayer and of course my person showed up! (said a quick thank you prayer once out of the craziness and in the car feeling semi-safe again!) Patrick took me to his hostel, where I met Sam. Sam is starting a project tomorrow as well and he is living with the family next door to mine! yay! He is super nice and from Baltimore but goes to school at Northwestern. We got in the car and the first thing he asked was where are you from. Answer: utah next question of course--are you mormon Answer--why yes I am! (perfect missionary opportunity_ I think yes!) he says I have never met a mormon before, there aren´t any in baltimore or chicago (yeah right, but that´s ok) what do you believe (he totally opened the door for me on that one!) So for the next 30 I preceded to talk to him and patrick my country coordinator about the church! The burning question they HAD to ask--do we practice polygamy, of course they were realized with my answer! It was amazing though! I am going to try to get Sam to church with me Sunday! We shall see...then I came and met my family, they are so nice I cannot even tell you! The parents both speak spanish only, they have a 22 year old daughter learning english. So I have had to bust out spanish already, I feel like it is already getting better. Then patrick took sam and I to one of the projects, sam will be at this one frmo 12 to later in the afternoon. I will be at a hospital called Hogar de Vida at 0730 every morning, get off at 300 and then go to this place, it´s a boy shelter, and it broke y heart being there today. THose boys were adorable though, they fell in love with us instantly. Hugs and kisses on the cheek (culture) they were dolls. I can´t wait to go back tomorrow! But yeah, came back and hung with my family, sam brought his family over and we went on a LONG walk. It is so beautiful here, but there is such poverty i cannót even tell you! But I am happy to be here. A little tired from traveling so I told them I was just going to write you guys then go shower and go to bed! Got an early 6 am morning tomorrow! (5 am on my biological clock) But yeah, there is my first day! I hope all is well with you all and I can´t wait to start tomorrow! Talk to you soon!!
P.S no pics until after the trip so just keep checking back for updates ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you got there safely have fun! We love you tons! It was so great to see you on Saturday! Thnaks for stopping by before you headed out! What a BUSY BUSY day for you! HOw was your dinner in Guatemala by the way?